"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
I believe the originalist view of the 2nd Amendment's right to bear arms was not intended to be carte blanche. The government has an obligation to protect everyone within our borders by controlling the sale of deadly weapons by strengthening laws regarding background checks for civilians and veterans.
I will support legislation specifically to do the following:
- Support your right to own guns for protection and legal hunting
- Strengthening background checks to limit who has legal access to guns
- Full criminal and psychological profile
- Add a Federal age limit of 18 to the sale of rifles and handguns
- Increase mental health care for veterans and high school students
- Institute a comprehensive database accessible in all counties in all 50 states to track ownership, mental health history and military records of all gun owners to be shared by local, state and federal law enforcement
- Keep records for police warrants
- Track secondary exchanges
- Support local law enforcement in gun buyback programs
- Funding for police forces and first responders to increase community outreach and use of non-lethal force